Machine Language book by Melbourne House

General Chit Chat about Sinclair Computers and their Clones
angus

Machine Language book by Melbourne House

Post by angus »

As my machine code is *very* rusty, I've nipped to my local library and amazingly been able to borrow a copy of "Machine language programming made simple for your Sinclair" published my Melbourne House/Beam Software in 1981. It's aimed at owners of ZX80 and ZX81 computers.

On page 139 there is a "machine code editor" program...it's a hex loader wit some extra features. I'd like to use it and work through the book as the authors intended but I've come up against a weird problem. Line 200 of the program is:

200 LET V = 16* CODE (A$) + CODE (TL$(A$)) -476

The problem is TL$ of course is not recognised.

Is anyone familiar with this book? Was there a known typo and correction to this program? The only string used is A$, there is no variable TL either.
angus

Re: Machine Language book by Melbourne House

Post by angus »

Here is the program. It is for the ZX80 with the following page containing some additions for the ZX81.
Attachments
zx81m.JPG
zx81m.JPG (59.37 KiB) Viewed 4720 times
Andy Rea

Post by Andy Rea »

TL$ is a ZX80 only command, it returns the Whole string except the first character.

so that line is converting the first 2 characters of A$ from Hex to decimal.

on ZX81 you would use...

LET V = 16*CODE A$+CODE A$(2)-476

hth aNDY
what's that Smell.... smells like fresh flux and solder fumes...
angus

Post by angus »

Thanks, I was vaguely aware of TL$ being recognised by the ZX80. There's no alternative line given for the ZX81. I think I have an early hardback edition of the book, later editions seem to have one page more. Maybe they corrected this?

I'm still pleasantly surprised that the library had a copy. It was last out in 2002.
angus

Post by angus »

double post. My laptop mouse button is playing up
Last edited by angus on Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PokeMon

Post by PokeMon »

angus wrote: Is anyone familiar with this book? Was there a known typo and correction to this program? The only string used is A$, there is no variable TL either.
It's written ZX80 version in the second line of the scanned page in big letters. ;)

Have one book from E.Floegl with a machine code editor for 16 - has about 150 BASIC lines to enter.
Unfortunately I do not have a scanner.
angus

Post by angus »

Umm...that's why I said it was a ZX80 program with modifications on the next page for the ZX81.

But there's no modification of line 200, which is why I needed Andy's help. Thanks :)