Doesn't time fly!

General Chit Chat about Sinclair Computers and their Clones
zx80nut

Doesn't time fly!

Post by zx80nut »

I've just realised that my inital ZX80 page has been on-line for 15 years !

Gone through many changes, and changed service provider twice (Demon, Freeserve then BT) - you will probably still find links to the old ones (long dead).
Initially uploaded using a 14.4kb dialup (when I eventually managed to connect!) and knocked-up on a Windows 95 machine (a 25MHz 486sx!)

Nowadays, my machine is more than 100x faster, but windows STILL seems to take ages to load :)

My old PCs have been resigned to the recycle/bin ages ago, but the old computers are still operational and cherished !

I have no regrets about throwing out the old PCs, but I would be saddened if I had to get rid of the 80's stuff.

...must be getting old ;)

Long live the ZX machines !

Grant

http://home.micros.users.btopenworld.com/zx80/zx80.html
BrunoFlorindo

Re: Doesn't time fly!

Post by BrunoFlorindo »

So you're the author of one of the few ZX80 pages on the net. Thank you! Original software and information about the ZX80 is very hard to find.

This topic reminds me I need to test my Microace at some point.
zx80nut wrote:Nowadays, my machine is more than 100x faster, but windows STILL seems to take ages to load :)
On a 6Gb-enabled SSD Drive, Windows 7 takes about 7 seconds to boot. And that's with a bunch of programs installed.
zx81jens

Post by zx81jens »

On a 6Gb-enabled SSD Drive, Windows 7 takes about 7 seconds to boot. And that's with a bunch of programs installed.
well, my zx81 (with 56k-RAM and many other things) still needs 2.5 seconds to boot ;-)

greetings
jens
eyerything will be okay in the end.
if it´s not okay, it´s not the end.

and: uıɐbɐ ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ɹǝʌǝ ɹǝʌǝu ןןıʍ ı
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

Not with ZXpand's version 4 ROM ;)
siggi

Post by siggi »

BrunoFlorindo wrote: On a 6Gb-enabled SSD Drive, Windows 7 takes about 7 seconds to boot. And that's with a bunch of programs installed.
My ZX81-webserver runs within 3 seconds :D

During that time
- the Zeddy boots and performs LOAD"A" to load and run basic-program "A" from ramdisk.
- program "A" loads and runs basic-program "c:web/webstart" from MMC card
- program "webstart" enables an EEPROM bank at 8K to call m/c routines for initializing the serial port to 9600-8N1, loads 5800 bytes from MMC into high ram (file "c:web/fs9") and loads and runs the web-server-program (16 KB) from MMC.

And it is running since 2007 ...

:mrgreen:

Siggi
My ZX81 web-server: online since 2007, running since dec. 2020 using ZeddyNet hardware
http://zx81.ddns.net/ZxTeaM