Cassette To P file

General Chit Chat about Sinclair Computers and their Clones
blittled

Cassette To P file

Post by blittled »

I'm going to write a program to control some external hardware on my ZX81 but I just realize I only have tape out and in on the ZX81 to cassette. Is there a tool that converts audio cassette to P file? Or better yet a way to use the audio out and audio in of a PC instead. I know EightyOne will produce an audio output of a P file. Can it also convert audio to P? If all else fails I do have a cassette player that works with the ZX81 and I can copy the program manually by typing it into EightyOne. Thanks.
2X Timex Sinclair 1000, ZX81, ZX80Core, 5X 16K Ram Pack, ZXBlast, ZX P file to Ear Input Signal Converter, Elf II
Paul

Re: Cassette To P file

Post by Paul »

EightyOne can read wav files, so you can convert to p file with its help.
Otherwise persons with a ZXpand can use tapescrape Program to convert a cassette to p files.
If you want me to I can do this for you, but my response time is quite slow.
Kind regards Paul
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
mrtinb

Post by mrtinb »

Martin
https://zx.rtin.be
ZX81, Lambda 8300, Commodore 64, Mac G4 Cube
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

If you have a good quality Audio file you wish to post email or what ever then like Paul's kind offer I will happily convert it for you and as I have more time on my hands these days I could get it back to you quickly if time is of a premium.
blittled

Post by blittled »

Thanks for the info and offers. I need to break down and get a ZXPand+ :). I was hoping EightyOne could read wav files. For now I'll set up my old "beater" laptop with EightyOne and use it for my "cassette recorder" for the ZX81. I have an Arduino Due with a SD Card Reader that I use to read in P files and converts them to audio with a nice graphical touch screen but I never got around to converting audio to P files :oops:
2X Timex Sinclair 1000, ZX81, ZX80Core, 5X 16K Ram Pack, ZXBlast, ZX P file to Ear Input Signal Converter, Elf II
mrtinb

Post by mrtinb »

I use a TZXduino for my Lambda 8300, as the ZXpand does not work here. But it's only for loading. I don't think TZXduino supports saving.
Martin
blittled

Post by blittled »

mrtinb, When I wrote the code for my Due I did think about converting the audio but the volume on output is a lot lower because the old cassette players amplified the mic input. To make it work I would have to build some sort of amplifier on the input. Sadly when I lost an external hard drive I also lost the code I written for it.
mrtinb

Post by mrtinb »

The Arduino outputs 5V, as that is ideal for ZX81, so no amplification should be necessary.
Martin
blittled

Post by blittled »

I thought the output of the ZX81 is very low amplitude which needed amplification. Also unlike most Arduinos the Due can only accept and put out 3.3 V which happens to be the perfect voltage for the audio in. I never had a dropout and never saw a corrupted load with the Due.
mrtinb

Post by mrtinb »

Sorry I misunderstood you.

I was talking about output from Arduino to ZX81.

I think you are taking about output from ZX81 to Arduino.

I have not looked into output from ZX81 to Arduino, as I think TZXduino does not support recording from ZX81.
Martin