My ZX81 2017 Resolution

General Chit Chat about Sinclair Computers and their Clones
blittled

My ZX81 2017 Resolution

Post by blittled »

With Pokemon coming out with the ZXBlaster my interest in the ZX81 has been rekindled. That has gotten some rusty old gears running in my head producing some ideas that I'd like to share that I may do in 2017:

ZX Networking:
With the ESP8266 becoming popular a WIFI network card would actually be cheaper that using the Wiznet. I was looking at the ZeddyNet and it looks like they use a cpld to capture 8 bit data and convert it to serial for the Wiznet. The ESP8266 also accepts serial. I was also thinking of using a microcontroller to convert data to serial. The Arduino Mega has enough I/O to decode I/O ports and receive data but with a 16MHz clock it may be too slow to decode ports and convert. The PIC18F4550 may be the best candidate since it has a 48MHz clock and enough I/O. The Mega is much easier to program though requiring no additional programming hardware. With either microcontroller I can use serial to USB so interfacing to a PC is easy. Also there are cheap serial to bluetooth modules that could be used as well.

For the software side of things if USB or Bluetooth is used a ZX81 X-Modem program could possibly transfer files and I wonder if the ZX81 could be set up as an FTP client for WIFI.

Archiving:
I was looking at Wilf Rigters' website and was thinking of how great a resource that is. It would be a shame if one day it would disappear. Also his ASCII schematics have become almost impossible to read. I was thing of redoing those articles into PDF format with clear schematics. I was also thinking there are others (many in this forum) that may be included so the end result would be a document that would be a valuable asset for any ZX81 developer.

Adventure Game:
I tried back in the late 80's to make a Ultima style game on the ZX81. I got a wrap around scrolling map of the game world working but then ran out of memory. Now with 30 years of programming in my career, the ZXBlaster and fast load and save to USB drives I may try again. I want to develop an efficient gaming engine and with memory paging jump to pages containing world, village, castle and dungeon environments and saving persistent data onto a USB drive.

Alas like many resolutions I wonder how many of these ideas I will follow through on. :)
2X Timex Sinclair 1000, ZX81, ZX80Core, 5X 16K Ram Pack, ZXBlast, ZX P file to Ear Input Signal Converter, Elf II
blittled

Re: My ZX81 2017 Resolution

Post by blittled »

I just found out that ZX Networking with the ESP8266 has already been done http://hackaday.com/2016/11/23/zx81-con ... e-network/. It looks like it is piggybacked on another project Victor Trucco did called Blue Drive. Blue Drive reads files via USB. Sounds a little like ZXBlast and ZXMore :) . I couldn't find any documentation or software for it. If I do it I plan to document the project so it can be done by anyone who wishes to make one.
2X Timex Sinclair 1000, ZX81, ZX80Core, 5X 16K Ram Pack, ZXBlast, ZX P file to Ear Input Signal Converter, Elf II
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

You might want to explore the German ZX forum(assuming you haven't done already) as they seem to be well into networking projects with the zeddy, especially Siggi who I believe runs a web server via his 81. :D

http://forum.tlienhard.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=2

A bit of Google translate helps immensely.

Your projects sound fantastic and I'm sure there would be great interest here.

All the best.

Moggy.
siggi

Post by siggi »

blittled wrote: ZX Networking:
With the ESP8266 becoming popular a WIFI network card would actually be cheaper that using the Wiznet. I was looking at the ZeddyNet and it looks like they use a cpld to capture 8 bit data and convert it to serial for the Wiznet.
No. The WIZ chip is connected directly to the Z80 databus ( 8 bit parallel, not serially). The GAL is used for i/o decoding and timing adaption, the LS245 is a databus buffer. For details see here:

http://forum.tlienhard.com/phpBB3/viewt ... 92&#p18802
Archiving:
I was looking at Wilf Rigters' website and was thinking of how great a resource that is. It would be a shame if one day it would disappear. Also his ASCII schematics have become almost impossible to read.
The ASCII schematics are clearly visible, if you manually set the character set used by your web brower to "western" (not UNICODE)

Regards
Siggi

Edit: Addendum: ZeddyNet: Schema and GAL contents could be found there:
http://forum.tlienhard.com/phpBB3/viewt ... &start=100
My ZX81 web-server: online since 2007, running since dec. 2020 using ZeddyNet hardware
http://zx81.ddns.net/ZxTeaM