IBM made Sinclair computers, surley not?

General Chit Chat about Sinclair Computers and their Clones
Moggy

IBM made Sinclair computers, surley not?

Post by Moggy »

A curious line from this book, page 73, states that from 1983 Sinclair production was transferred to IBM.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=ZtQ ... ee&f=false

Big Blue making speccies surely not?
1024MAK

Re: IBM made Sinclair computers, surley not?

Post by 1024MAK »

I'm not convinced that case study in that book has it's facts correct. It appears to have been written with a lot of bias as well.

Why would IBM make Spectrum computers, then use Timex to make electronics for them?

I've never heard of Sinclair having any relationship with IBM. When Amstrad took over the Sinclair computer business, they did get Sinclair computers made overseas. But some were still made in the U.K., but I don't know where or which company they used. Example, there are at least two different PCBs for the grey +2 machines, one was made in the U.K.
And Amstrad took over after a couple of years after 1983.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

I didn't get it either hence the question.

Didn't Samsung manufacture boards for Sinclair at one point?
Last edited by Moggy on Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fwapp

Post by Fwapp »

I'm pretty sure that I read recently that Sinclair threatened to move production, related to a strike at the Timex factory and the potential laying off of 1900, but didn't. I'll try and dig it out. The IBM link does sound odd though.
ZX80, ZX81 - 2C158C Bugged Rom iss.1, 2C158C "kludge fix" iss1, 2C184E iss1, 2C210E iss3, US NTSC iss1 "straight traces", US NTSC iss3 TS1000
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Moggy wrote:Didn't Samsung manufacture boards for Sinclair at one point?
Yes, the Spectrum issue 4S board, used mainly in Spectrum+ cases (also made overseas) and some which turn up in rubber key cases (but I don't own one, so am not sure if Samsung made the complete computer, or just supplied boards to the UK where they were fitted in whatever Sinclair (or it's agent) had to hand).

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
zx83

Post by zx83 »

Samsung also made 10,000 Sinclair QLs for the US market, with RF screening and D type rather than phone serial and joystick sockets. I have one of those, arguably the best QL ever (apart from the JSU ROM... but this is ZX land).

Of course IBM never made any hardware for Sinclair, don't believe all you read (unless it's from someone there at the time with a good memory and no axe to grind - I believe I am that).
amigaman07

Post by amigaman07 »

Don't Believe Everything you Read...

Apparently "Hitlers Plane" was found on the Moon!

Or so the "SUN Newspaper" Reported years ago... anyone remember that? It even had a Picture! :o :lol:

Darren (amigaman07)