RE : (Newbie Hello! / ZX Advice Please?)

General Chit Chat about Sinclair Computers and their Clones
monsterjazzlicks

Re: RE : (Newbie Hello! / ZX Advice Please?)

Post by monsterjazzlicks »

Hi Sir Morris,
sirmorris wrote:Python is a text-based language and is easy enough for beginners (I still think the code club pages are a good place to start even for an adult) while being powerful enough to be used as the language behind many commercial systems.
Thanks for that PYTHON link. There is a lot of good info there.

I also found this guy on You Tube (TheNewBoston) who has made an overwhelming array of such tutorials:

https://www.youtube.com/user/thenewboston

Cheers,

Paul
monsterjazzlicks

Hi again,
sirmorris wrote:Grab an rPi refers to buying one of the very cheap single board 'raspberry pi' computers from the guys who used to be part of Acorn/Arm. It's a tiny thing that plugs into a telly and keyboard. It is a full-fledged computer and runs an OS called Linux as well as being able to be a media centre and all-round learning device. When I say cheap I'm talking tens of pounds. There's a new one just been released which doubles the processor power and memory, for the same cost as the old one. [Raspberry Pi 2 Model B]
Would this (eBay second-hand) one be suffice please Morris:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Raspberry-Pi- ... 20f70df6dd

I could not see any on 'SellMyRetro'.

Cheers,

Paul
Dell Inspiron 3737, Windows 8.1 Professional, 16GB RAM, 1.70gHz, 64-bit, Intel Core i3.
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

It certainly would but you can get the better upgraded model brand new and cheaper. For instance here:

http://thepihut.com/products/raspberry-pi-2-model-b

You'd need a keyboard but you can use a regular PC keyboard and mouse.

* edit - actually you also need an SD card and HDMI cable (unless you already have one of these) so perhaps the board alone isn't a bargain. The ebay deal is reasonable value for money although it is the older, less powerful computer.

Here's a bundle on amazon which gives you everything you need for £40.

C
monsterjazzlicks

Thanks Morris,
sirmorris wrote:It certainly would but you can get the better upgraded model brand new and cheaper. For instance here:

http://thepihut.com/products/raspberry-pi-2-model-b

You'd need a keyboard but you can use a regular PC keyboard and mouse.

* edit - actually you also need an SD card and HDMI cable (unless you already have one of these) so perhaps the board alone isn't a bargain. The ebay deal is reasonable value for money although it is the older, less powerful computer.

Here's a bundle on amazon which gives you everything you need for £40.
Do you think I would regret purchasing the former model of the 'Raspberry pi'? I mean yes, it is convenient that the eBay seller is selling it as a complete package, but would you still go for the most up2date version? Reply from seller this evening:

Paul,

Yes, i bought it all new (Pi) and have only opened the box and installed the motherboard into the case. Never even plugged it in so it is as new. The keyboard and mouse are also as new and were bought for the project.

Matt

There are mixed reviews on Amazon about the accessories (HDMI, PSU, etc) but maybe people just had bad luck with them (ie these are isolated incidents)?

I already own a couple of SANDISK SD's ta.

Many thanks,

Paul
RWAP

Post by RWAP »

The main benefit of the latest version is the extra memory and the fact that it looks as though Windows 10 will be available to run on it !!
monsterjazzlicks

Hi RWAP,
RWAP wrote:The main benefit of the latest version is the extra memory and the fact that it looks as though Windows 10 will be available to run on it !!
Thank you.

That's actually another can of worms you just opened! lol Both my PC's need reformatting asap. I believe Win10 is due for UK release in April coming. There is a 1 x year grace period for Win7 and Win8.1 users to upgrade for free (though this is only something I overheard and I was not aware that there ever was an actual fee for upgrading [though I may be completely wrong here because it is not something I have ever done myself]). But if I WAS to upgrade the OS on both of my PC's (ie to Win10 later in the year) then does this involve REFORMATTING again please!?

RE: Raspberry - Well extra MEMORY is always a useful thing! Probably better to pay the extra now than regret it later down the line!

Cheers,

Paul
RWAP

Post by RWAP »

monsterjazzlicks wrote: That's actually another can of worms you just opened! lol Both my PC's need reformatting asap. I believe Win10 is due for UK release in April coming. There is a 1 x year grace period for Win7 and Win8.1 users to upgrade for free (though this is only something I overheard and I was not aware that there ever was an actual fee for upgrading [though I may be completely wrong here because it is not something I have ever done myself]). But if I WAS to upgrade the OS on both of my PC's (ie to Win10 later in the year) then does this involve REFORMATTING again please!?
It is unclear whether Windows 10 will continue for free, but certainly Microsoft is pushing for users to upgrade and certainly there was a press conference at which they said that for the first 12 months, users could upgrade for free. They have also confirmed that it will be free for use on the Raspberry PI.

Up until now, yes, there has been a fee to upgrade to a new version of Windows - that said you can normally install it over the top of your existing operating system without having to reformat - from Windows XP certainly you have had the option of replacing the operating system or setting up a dual boot system on your computer so that you keep access to the older Windows version!
monsterjazzlicks

Thank you RWAP,

I am 99% sure I will upgrade when Win10 becomes available.

Security/Safety type updates and Support for Win7 is said to be ceasing as of next year (or maybe 2017). And overall, I mostly dislike Win8.1 and so I am hoping that its successor will offer something different. It seems to be (with reference to other forums I frequent and friends I have spoken to) that people liked XP, disliked Vista, liked 7, and disliked 8. Something of a pattern you might say!

Ta,

Paul
Paul

Post by Paul »

Does anybody believe that the quality of win10 will be any better than now?
At the moment Microsoft sells Windows for a lot of money compared to its competitors and it is bad quality.
I expect the software quality to become even less when it is for free.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
monsterjazzlicks

Hi,

I have been reading and watching a few uploaded information resources on the rPi.

I was wondering (and am probably going to display my lack of knowledge in general here again!) but do/should you have ANTI VIRUS PROTECTION installed on this particular device? I assume that it is prone to contracting a virus as are all internet connected computers (however small). And if so, is it compatible with the regular Norton/Kaspersky/McAfee versions which you install on a laptop/PC (I ask because I have 3 x LICENSES on mine and am currently only using two)? Or do you have to download/install one which is specific and exclusive to the Raspberry (brand)?

Many thanks,

Paul