Which is better? Spectrum or other....

General Chit Chat about Sinclair Computers and their Clones
tdg8934

Re: Which is better? Spectrum or other....

Post by tdg8934 »

I went to the world of spectrum site and found a couple of games. I found a 128k and 48k version of lode runner and both play on the MIST with my atari (which I guess the games call it kengsiton or something) joystick. The 128k version plays music and loads fast (after I select the Tape Loader menu) while the 48k version of lode runner is slower to load/draw on screen and doesn’t play background music. All I have seen so far is the TAP format which seems to work.

Tim
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Games and other software, browse / search these sites:

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseek.cgi
World of Spectrum is in the process of moving to a new site, so some functionality may not work on the “old” site.

Keep in mind that the 16K/48K/plus machines don’t have a sound chip. They only have the bleeper that is controlled by bit-bashing the ULA port that drives it.

TAP format is used to contain software that was a originally on tape and which was recorded as standard tape files (using the normal BASIC ROM tape routines).

More info on the various formats here, if you more technical details, go here ;-)

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

There were a number of different and incompatible joystick interfaces for the ZX Spectrum.

At first, the most popular was the interface from the Kempston company, so this became a de facto standard. With compatible interfaces also being made by other companies. The connector was “Atari” joystick compatible :D select “Kempston” in games...

Sinclair then released their own interface (the ZX Interface 2). This maps two “Atari” joystick connectors to the top keyboard row (number keys 1 to 5, and 6 to 0).
With the +2, +2A, +2B and +3 machines, Amstrad wired up the joystick port to it’s own non-standard arrangement, but as far as software is concerned, they are ‘Sinclair” joystick ports, as they also map to the top keyboard row (number keys 1 to 5, and 6 to 0).

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs

There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
tdg8934

Post by tdg8934 »

I'm beginning to think this post should be brought into the Spectrum section but its ok with me either way.

So is the Spectrum just a supped up ZX81 with better graphics, sound, etc. Is the expansion port the same on both. (i.e. can a ZXPand+ be used on a Spectrum or TS2068 or other related system? Many companies go with what they know and modify their product for the next version 2.0 - if you get what I mean. I'm wondering about the commonalities between them or are they completely new designs both just having to be run off of a Z80 processor.

Tim
mrtinb

Post by mrtinb »

Will ZX81 hardware work with Spectrum or 2068?
  1. ZXpand or any other hardware that replaces the ROM needs a custom Spectrum or 2068 ROM. However the ROM on Spectrum is 16k, and e.g. ZXpand only supports 8k. (Maybe replacing the first 8k is ok, and just use the internal upper 8k from the Spectrum.)
  2. Next requirement is that the I/O ports used by ZXpand etc. is not used by Spectrum or 2068 internally.
  3. If some of the connections on the external bus works a little differently e.g. some chips cannot be disabled, then it will not work.
Martin
https://zx.rtin.be
ZX81, Lambda 8300, Commodore 64, Mac G4 Cube
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

tdg8934 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:31 pm I'm beginning to think this post should be brought into the Spectrum section but its ok with me either way.

So is the Spectrum just a supped up ZX81 with better graphics, sound, etc. Is the expansion port the same on both. (i.e. can a ZXPand+ be used on a Spectrum or TS2068 or other related system? Many companies go with what they know and modify their product for the next version 2.0 - if you get what I mean. I'm wondering about the commonalities between them or are they completely new designs both just having to be run off of a Z80 processor.

Tim
I’ll move the thread if that is what is wanted...

The ZX Spectrum is a development which greatly expands on the ZX81. So I would classify as a new machine rather than a souped-up ZX81.

ZX81 vs. ZX Spectrum (all the following assume off the shelf standard machines)
RAM 1K bytes vs. 16K bytes or 48K bytes
ROM 8K bytes vs. 16K bytes with a greatly expanded BASIC with keywords to control the graphics, colour and sound
Minimal hardware for the display system that needs to use the CPU vs. Special custom system that includes “high resolution” pixel graphics and colour that runs independently of the CPU
Special character set vs. ASCII character set
No sound vs. Bleeper sound

So in terms of hardware, the only common things are: the same Z80 CPU (but clocked at slightly different speeds), a similar memory map layout, a similar keyboard matrix. Both use a ULA, but the functionality is very different (you can remove the CPU from a Spectrum and you will still get a display on the TV screen, it will be a multicoloured mess of different coloured and flashing pixels, but it will be there). Everything else is different.

The expansion edge-connector port is different on a ZX81 compared to a ZX Spectrum. Only a very limited number of expansion or I/O devices are compatible with both machines. For example the ZX Printer (and any compatible printer) and some Kempston joystick interfaces.

A memory expansion can only be used on a 16K byte ZX Spectrum and has to have it’s RAM decoded to 0x8000 to 0xFFFF.
No memory expansions can be used with other ZX Spectrum models.
The Z80 memory controls signals on the expansion edge-connector are in a different place. And there is no control signal to disable any of the internal RAM. So ZX81 RAM packs and the ZXpand won’t work, even on a 16K machine.

The expansion edge-connector on the TS2068 is more similar to the ZX81 than on the ZX Spectrum.

In terms of the BASIC, at the user level, apart from keywords like SCROLL, SLOW, FAST etc, ZX81 programs will work on a ZX Spectrum if typed in. But the ZX Spectrum tape system cannot load ZX81 programs from tape.

Although the ZX Spectrum ROM code has some sections that are similar to the code in the ZX81 ROM, a lot of it is new code.

There are a number of competing modern mass storage interfaces for the ZX Spectrum, including FDD, HDD, CF and SD card solutions. There is also some that allow a network connection.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs

There are four lights!