Stunned. 61mA

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
msknight

Stunned. 61mA

Post by msknight »

I'm stunned. In lieu of sorting the RAM problem, I put the myretrostore ram back in, changed the processor, inserted the uLA81 and the EPROM chip with the Big Bang installed having previously changed the power regulator... and it pulled just 61mA. I'm sure someone has already got much lower than this. I just did it as a thing, to see how low it would go... hoping to break the 100mA barrier... and it did it... in style.
Attachments
IMG_7995.jpg
IMG_7996.jpg
Moggy

Re: Stunned. 61mA

Post by Moggy »

Yes but it only counts if the actually zeddy works!! :lol:

(Sorry Michelle couldn't resist.)
msknight

Post by msknight »

Moggy wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:55 am Yes but it only counts if the actually zeddy works!! :lol:

(Sorry Michelle couldn't resist.)
LOL! Fortunately, this one does come to a K. But I'm going to wait until Mark has the time to advise on the RAM chips before moving forward.... and confirmation on my thoughts before I start modifying that Sinclair RAM pack for high res. ... but people are busy and that's expected. :-)
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

A lot of it depends on which "K" cursor was supplied with the ROM.

Sinclair outsourced their cursors from at least ten different cursor suppliers and if your power draw is that low then it would mean you have the cursor supplied by Meanbugga and son. They were well know for their low power consumption cursors.

( It would appear Moggy has been hit with the silly stick. )
msknight

Post by msknight »

It's the Helvetica fine, 11 point with slight italicisation. I believe it was probably one that Sinclair got from Selfridges as a sample and never placed an order.

(it's Friday)
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Friday night is..........

BEER NIGHT!!!!
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Serious head on.

I believe Mark has already mentioned that Sir Morris did a low power jobby but I'm not sure what internals were involved, I may give him a call and find out just what he did for comparison.

PS Selfridge never sold cursors to Sinclair as they were sole suppliers to Atari.
msknight

Post by msknight »

I think there were lower consumption Z80 in the list, and Sir Morris was aiming to go low, so I wouldn't be surprised if he went into the low 50mA.

Selfridges may only have "sold" to Atari, but that doesn't preclude Sinclair getting a sample.
Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin »

I thought it was Sears not Selfridges with Atari?
ZX80
ZX81 iss 1 (bugged ROM, kludge fix, normal, rebuilt)
TS 1000 iss 3, ZXPand AY and +, ZX8-CCB, ZX-KDLX & ChromaSCART
Tatung 81 + Wespi
TS 1500 & 2000
Spectrum 16k (iss 1 s/n 862)
Spectrum 48ks plus a DIVMMC future and SPECTRA
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Lardo Boffin wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:31 pm I thought it was Sears not Selfridges with Atari?
No only US models using the imperial system buy their cursors from Sears, Euro models require the metric equivalent hence Selfridge.

Anyhow my attack cat Keith would like a word..... :twisted:
Attachments
cats-snipers-v0-kdtd65gtnm2b1.jpg