RGBtoHDMI and ZX-Wespi

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
msknight

RGBtoHDMI and ZX-Wespi

Post by msknight »

I have the RGBtoHDMI units for the ZX81 and I have something I'd be grateful for help with please.

The ZX81 is fitted with the ZX-wespi, which I have to disable when loading from tape.

The trick is that when the Wespi is enabled/disabled it affects the signal coming out and the RGBtoHDMI has to be slightly recalibrated.

I was wondering what is the best setting(s) to mess around with in order to get a single profile that will work in both conditions please. I'm actually quite close already and it just needs some fine tuning.

The Wespi is connected after the 220ohm resistor as this seems the most stable, and it's own 1K resistor on the composite input is still present and hasn't been lowered.

Grateful for advice.
Lardo Boffin

Re: RGBtoHDMI and ZX-Wespi

Post by Lardo Boffin »

Are you disconnecting power to the Wespi?

I found the only stable option was to disconnect the video and ear cables and leave the power to Wespi always on.
ZX80
ZX81 iss 1 (bugged ROM, kludge fix, normal, rebuilt)
TS 1000 iss 3, ZXPand AY and +, ZX8-CCB, ZX-KDLX & ChromaSCART
Tatung 81 + Wespi
TS 1500 & 2000
Spectrum 16k (iss 1 s/n 862)
Spectrum 48ks plus a DIVMMC future and SPECTRA
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

My advise is to not to switch the power or 0V/ground, but to switch the signal lines, see this post ;-)

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
msknight

Post by msknight »

OK - I've found in the sampling menu, that I can get a couple of degrees of adjustment that it's happy with, with the wespi both on and off, so I'm good to go with the display.

NOTE - I'm shifting this back to the main zx-wespi because I've just realised that I'm now segregating the chatter. Sorry!