A triumvirate of British computers

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
martinw

Re: A triumvirate of British computers

Post by martinw »

Moggy wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:32 pm Forgive the levity,Martin.

You have a splendid bunch of British computing loveliness there of which you should be quite proud. :D

(PS ditch the yank games console and all will be forgiven!! :lol: )
Thank you Moggy, the Atari 2600 was the first games console (apart from maybe Binatone pong) I ever played on, so holds a special place in my heart ❤️
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

I was wondering how long before someone mentioned the Atari :lol:

Best Moggy not visit my Aladdin’s ‘cave’, I have rather a lot of the 16/32 bit beasts from Atari… :ugeek:

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer being good this year.
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

To admit to a mea culpa on my part my MIDI studio has been STE powered since Atari first released it but in way of redemption my General MIDI and audio file player is a zeddy! :lol:
mikeh_nz

Post by mikeh_nz »

martinw wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:00 pm What do you reckon is the name for all these British beauties 😁
Love it!

My original thought to your post was to friendly hassle you with “what about the beeb?” (model b), but I see you even have an Atom. :mrgreen:

I like the Atari 2600 (lite sixer) - about the only thing that is cheap here in the USA. Do you have a Harmony cart?
martinw

Post by martinw »

mikeh_nz wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 2:07 am
martinw wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:00 pm What do you reckon is the name for all these British beauties 😁
Love it!

My original thought to your post was to friendly hassle you with “what about the beeb?” (model b), but I see you even have an Atom. :mrgreen:

I like the Atari 2600 (lite sixer) - about the only thing that is cheap here in the USA. Do you have a Harmony cart?
Thank you, not any old Atom though, one of the ones with the crazy keys 🙄 I didn’t know about the Harmony cart, I’ll definitely check it out 👍

Martin
Last edited by martinw on Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
martinw

Post by martinw »

A few more :)

IMG_8164.jpeg

Martin
Paul

Post by Paul »

Hopefully no commodore in the same room with Sinclair? :twisted:
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
martinw

Post by martinw »

Paul wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:40 am Hopefully no commodore in the same room with Sinclair? :twisted:
😬😂
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (12.09 KiB) Viewed 682 times
mikeh_nz

Post by mikeh_nz »

martinw wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:29 am I didn’t know about the Harmony cart, I’ll definitely check it out 👍
If you search YouTube for some reviews of it you’ll get a good idea of it. It’s pretty easy to download every original Atari2600 game ever made. It handles the original games (eg Battlezone) that remarkably run within the Atari’s 128 bytes of RAM, and the later games (eg Pitfall II) that included RAM in the cartridge.

Some of the homebrews (enthusiast created games) are quite good. Galagon looks nice (I don’t have the full game). Lode Runner is actually a really nice version.

I ended up doing the Tim Worthington modification to get my 2600 to output RGB as I like crisp pixels.

Anyhow, enough off topic - back to Sinclair…