New 1K hires game started, first screen inside

Any discussions related to the creation of new hardware or software for the ZX80 or ZX81
dr beep

Re: New 1K hires game started, first screen inside

Post by dr beep »

BTW sometimes the ball seemes to go through items like the bumper or the flipper.

At the bumper the ball is shot longside the bumper and falls into the lane again.
(well in fact th ball collides all the time and in the end falls back in the lane)

When going through the flipper you either used them too soon or too late and the ball bounced from the flipper into the exit, but the vector isn't corrected in all situations, but you would have lost the ball anyway.

Also the bug from the disappearing plates seemes to be fixed with another test already added.
dr beep

Post by dr beep »

CAN ANYONE SENT IN A SCREEN ON THE REAL MACHINE, my keyboard is failing at the moment so I can't type LOAD ""
fatbob_gb

Post by fatbob_gb »

Sadly I cant get it to run on my real zx81 via the zxpand.

When loaded I get the following display,
DSC_0005.jpg
DSC_0005.jpg (65.75 KiB) Viewed 3421 times
then pressing Q,W,E,R or T the zx81 just resets.

Your other 1K games appear to work OK with this setup.
dr beep

Post by dr beep »

Ok,

Thanks sofar, I think what's the cause. Just need some room for additional code.
dr beep

Post by dr beep »

So I bought myself a ZX81 to test the software on the real machine. Unfortunately the keyboard is now broken so I can't load the program.

Luckily I got another ZX81, but this one doesn't focus on my TV-frequency (no TV is older than the ZX81, so that is not the problem).
This ZX81 has a better keyboard, but it has soldered to the board so I can't change the top.

So for testing on the real hardware I am once again (hopefully temporarily) in help for you!

I have found 4 bytes in the program so I was able to alter the hires routine a bit.
The start is now the same as in SOKOB-ONE so I expect the lowres part to be right.
Also the hires start must be ok now and on the screen.

Why the program didn't run after pressing Q I don't know. The never coded changes in any program and thereby untested on a real ZX81 are already done BEFORE the Q pressing.

Controls are BTW slightly altered in this version:

Code: Select all

QWERT = Shoot a new ball
ZXCVB = Reset score at end of game (start new game)
other = Flipper
In this way you can never accidentally shoot a ball or reset a score!

So if someone can test the program on a real machine I can release it if it is working!

Gr,
Dr Beep

EDIT: file deleted since this was still not ok.
Last edited by dr beep on Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dr beep

Post by dr beep »

There seems to be a curse on this game.

First my keyboard broke, but I managed to repair the keyboard with the keyboard from another ZX81 where the display was not focused.

So I started to end the program with the final check..... and then my 35 year old TV burnt out with heavy smoke and a dirty smell.
Only 1 other TV at home was able to make a picture, although also very bad to see. I must assume that the score is ok, it looks ok, but I am not 100% sure.

So anyone can do the final check?
The code runs on a 1K machine and the screen looks ok.
Attachments
pinball.p
Please tell me if the final screen on real ZX81 is OK!
(949 Bytes) Downloaded 182 times
yerzmyey

Post by yerzmyey »

Hi,

I tested on EO 1K for now.

Two things I found:

- after I finished the game it hangs and QWERT keys don't works. Space resets the hiscore and THEN the QWERT key work.
- once there was a very strange thing: the ball went through the flipper's hinge like through air. It was very surprising and strange, so it's surely a bug.

I hope it helps somehow.
IN NIHILUM REVERTERIS - a big text-adventure game for ZX81: http://tiny.pl/g2m6m
"MONOCHROME" issue 5 - (Spring 2014) free paper/PDF magazine about ZX81: http://tiny.pl/q2m44
ZX81 COMPETITIONS 2007/2009: http://zx81.republika.pl/
yerzmyey

Post by yerzmyey »

Hi-score to the date - 284. ;)

PS: Sometimes seems like the flippers get blocked. I noticed it because normally they work perfectly, at once.
IN NIHILUM REVERTERIS - a big text-adventure game for ZX81: http://tiny.pl/g2m6m
"MONOCHROME" issue 5 - (Spring 2014) free paper/PDF magazine about ZX81: http://tiny.pl/q2m44
ZX81 COMPETITIONS 2007/2009: http://zx81.republika.pl/
dr beep

Post by dr beep »

yerzmyey wrote:Hi,

I tested on EO 1K for now.

Two things I found:

- after I finished the game it hangs and QWERT keys don't works. Space resets the hiscore and THEN the QWERT key work.
- once there was a very strange thing: the ball went through the flipper's hinge like through air. It was very surprising and strange, so it's surely a bug.

I hope it helps somehow.
This is an old version. Restart in latest version is with zxcv-row.
Through the flippers is when you forgot to flipper and the ball fals off the flipper in the pit but there was no room to change the direction and it is left like it is.
Keys should be QWERT to shoot a ball
SH.ZXCV to reset score and then QWERT to shoot ball again.

I need to know if the final version is ok on real hardware, not eo.
I have seen a picture on a real tv but the screen was nit sharp enough to say for 100% that the game is ready, but I am over 90% sure.
siggi

Post by siggi »

Hm, I tested the game with my laptop Zeddy (64K) and got a corrupt screen after I loaded the program from USB stick.
Then I did a POKE 16389,68 and NEW to simulate a 1K Zeddy, loaded the game again and got the same corrupt screen: something is visible in the upper left corner of the screen, but the picture is not stable.
When I press "Q" the screen gets dark ("NO SIGNAL" says the LCD monitor).

Sorry, I don't use pure-1k-Zeddies anymore ...

Siggi
My ZX81 web-server: online since 2007, running since dec. 2020 using ZeddyNet hardware
http://zx81.ddns.net/ZxTeaM