New release of EightyOne available

Emulator and emulator development specific topics
Moggy

Re: New release of EightyOne available

Post by Moggy »

Downloaded 1.6 to see if the ROM error had disappeared but sadly not.
The ROM not found error springs up until I manually load a ROM file, on boot up the hardware box shows ZX81.ROM which seems to have been renamed in the ROM folder at sometime with ZX81.EDITION1/2 .ROM so would suggest this is where the fault lies.
Andy Rea

Post by Andy Rea »

you guys are deleteing the old *.ini file when trying the new versions? otherwise it tries to use the last rom you used

instructions :-
earlier in this thread viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1781&start=60#p26707

regards
what's that Smell.... smells like fresh flux and solder fumes...
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Got it!! :oops:

But in fairness if the 2 ZX81 ROMS hadn't been renamed the problem would never have arisen. ;)
zsolt

Post by zsolt »

Hi,
Moggy wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:42 pm ROM which seems to have been renamed in the ROM folder at sometime with ZX81.EDITION1/2 .ROM so would suggest this is where the fault lies.
No. If you load a ROM image from an other folder than the standard, you get these messages - but all works well.
(during testing I usually do this :D )
Zsolt
ZX81 (8K), ENTERPRISE 128, [ZX SPECTRUM (48K,+,+128K,+2,+2A), TS1000, TS1500, TS2068, Cambridge Z88, PRIMO A64 (red)]
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

Moggy wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:01 pmBut in fairness if the 2 ZX81 ROMS hadn't been renamed the problem would never have arisen. ;)
You can't make a soufflé without breaking some eggs. Grating gruyère, making a cheesy roux and gently folding the beaten whites in before baking in a hot oven. No peeking!

You want progress. Well progress costs, and right here's where you start paying. In rom renaming. Speaking of which:
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

VERSION 1.7

In this release:

* Live memory view - a fun toy which may or may not have some practical use (CTRL-F5 or Tools -> Live Memory View)
* Various ROM renamings, mainly around language versions of spectrum and its +3 peripheral.
* Added character set bitmaps for various ROMs, used in debug window memory views only.
* Various minor bug fixes (see README)
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

* If you have issues with ROM loading after updating, please delete your INI file as detailed in previous messages in this thread. *

The live memory view represents the memory access requests made by the processor. It can be configured to show reads, writes or both. Reads are shown by red pixels. Writes by blue. You can configure which are shown using the 'View' menu. If a read and write occurs at the same address then the colour shown is magenta-pink.

Accesses fade over time - try a reset - so if pixels are persistent then that memory is being accessed constantly.

If you wish to map what addresses are touched in a more long running way then enable Display -> Touched bytes. A green pixel will show addresses that have been accessed for read or write since the display was last reset, using menu option Display -> Reset. Orange pixels are those which both have been and are currently being accessed.

The window can be configured to show one of a number of different address ranges. Try the Range menu.

* Yes, the ZX81 appears to have a pet - a restless red 'ant' (escaped from the classic game?) which relentlessly patrols RAM from the end to the start. It's (most likely) a read instruction in the display routine. I've fleetingly looked into the emulation but I suspect it's a genuine access by the ROM rather than a bug. Kudos points to anyone tracking it down ;)

Edit: the discussion about Charlie's Red Ant has been moved to this topic: Charlie's Red Ant - a ROM instruction that reads throughout memory Mark
Last edited by 1024MAK on Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: The discussion about Charlie's Red Ant has been moved to a new topic
Andy Rea

Post by Andy Rea »

Cool work as always guys... keep it up SMB17 :mrgreen:

regards Andy
what's that Smell.... smells like fresh flux and solder fumes...
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Ahem, you forgot something...

Serious question though.

When Eighty One saves a file does it set the attributes to read only or is it my PC doing this?

The reason I ask is that I tried the UDG designer in Eighty One to see how it performs (admirably) but on saving the UDG files or whatever the attributes are set to read only and when I use them on my MK1 spand it defaults to non spand mode until I manually reset the attributes via my PC.
Attachments
images.jpg
images.jpg (5.11 KiB) Viewed 5722 times
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

It's distinctly possible Moggy. There are a number of ways to save a file in EO, I'm guessing you mean when SAVE "xxx" is used within the emulation and ZXpand is enabled?