ZXpand+ JOYCFG.TXT file

Discussion about ZX80 / ZX81 Software
msknight

ZXpand+ JOYCFG.TXT file

Post by msknight »

For some reason I'm having a heck of a job trying to find out how to use the joycfg.txt file. I can't even find an example file to examine.

Can anyone help me to work out how to create this file and what I should put in it please. I believe it's a single file which should be at the root of the SD card.
sboisvert

Re: ZXpand+ JOYCFG.TXT file

Post by sboisvert »

The only reference to that file I can find is in this post, which says:
if you have a ZXpand interface. In this case, the programming is done automatically by ZXpand Commander from configuration file JOYCFG.TXT stored in the root directory. Set an entry for your game in the JOYCFG.TXT once and whenever you load it by Commander, the joystick will be magically configured.
I couldn't find anything in the ZXPand manual about that file. This sounds to me like you need both that interface and the ZXPand, and load it (the game?) using Commander (unless I'm missing something somewhere).

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

ZXpand Commander is a file manager/menu/loader program. See this topic... ;-)

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
msknight

Post by msknight »

1024MAK wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:20 pm ZXpand Commander is a file manager/menu/loader program. See this topic... ;-)

Mark
I did, but in spite of saying that the file can load and program the joystick profile when launching a game, it doesn't say anything about how the file is constructed. I can't find anything anywhere about how to construct it.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

There is most definitely a help or example file somewhere, I've seen it. I just can't remember where...

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
msknight

Post by msknight »

1024MAK wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:31 pm There is most definitely a help or example file somewhere, I've seen it. I just can't remember where...
LOL! ... well, when you remember, give me a nudge :-D
kmurta

Post by kmurta »

Documentation for using the JOY81 board is in a README.TXT file that I sent to buyers of the board, along with the configuration software. There is a more detailed manual, but it is in Portuguese and as soon as I finish the translation into English I will share it here on the forum, along with all the JOY81 files. For now, to satisfy your curiosity, I leave the README.TXT here

README.TXT
(2.24 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
1 x ZX81, 2 x TK85 , 1 TK82C, 1 TK95, 1 x Alphacom 32 printer, 1 x ZXpand
ZeXtender board, Joy81 - Programmable Joystick Controller, Turbo Sound 81
http://zx81.eu5.org
https://toddysoftware.itch.io/
msknight

Post by msknight »

Thank you very much!

When I first read about the joycfg.txt file, I thought it was for the ZXpand+ own joystick port, to save the config "J=udlrf" command.

It was only later that I realised that the configuration file is for the Joy81 and that people are using the Joy81 and the ZXpand+ together.

I'm looking forward to the files and building them. Programming the GALs will be something else new to learn!

Michelle.