The ZX80 is not really "rare", is it ?

General Chit Chat about Sinclair Computers and their Clones
zeddex

The ZX80 is not really "rare", is it ?

Post by zeddex »

I love my ZX80s, and I know that not many were made compared to the Spectrum, ZX81 etc, but there is an endless supply of them for sale over at that famous auction site and there always has been - if anything there are more on sale now than ever (currently there are 11 listed!)

20 years ago it was hit-and-miss finding one, but you could still find them at car boot sales, markets etc. I don't recall there ever being a time where they've been hard to obtain. But still, they're always referred to as super rare, uncommon, etc.

I hate the word "rare" :roll: :D
Andy Rea

Re: The ZX80 is not really "rare", is it ?

Post by Andy Rea »

some things have the ups and downs on the well known trading site, right now i feel with the zx80's especially people are just trying to make a quick buck... on the flipside if someone wants to pay " silly prices" don't let me stop them.

regards Andy
what's that Smell.... smells like fresh flux and solder fumes...
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

@zeddex Don't worry about "rare" or any of the other silly sales person talk. Have you ever been to a fair or market when the sales person is putting on a show. With the endless smooth sales talk. Often with a few helpers pretending to be customers in the crowd? eBay has become a crude version of that with all the silly descriptions.

If you want some free entertainment, ask some of these sellers some nice questions, like "you are advertising your item as 'rare'. Could you tell me how many were made then?". Or, for worked when last used etc. ask a direct question "Please test it for me" then when they refuse or ignore your question "if I win this and I find it is faulty, as it is incorrectly described, will you refund my bid?"

Oh, and BTW Wikipedia says there were 100,000 (*) ZX80's that were sold. So, no, not rare at all.

Mark

(*) Hayman, Martin (June 1982). "Interview – Clive Sinclair". Practical Computing.
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Rare at a reasonable price I would say.
I would also add that at least six of the eleven are the same half dozen (constantly re listed) being peddled for half a grand or more and please don't get me started on Jupiter Ace's.

"Un-tested-cannot test-thirty years old therefore no returns-cracked case-three duff keys-sold as seen...£999.00 :lol: :lol: